Status icon color changed after upgrade to 1.10

Hi,

Before the upgrade to 1.10, the color of the status icon before the name
of host in the "all hosts" page was respecting the same color code as
the one available in the dashboard page (blue, green, orange, red…).
We were also able to see wich hosts that had performed modifications
without error (blue) and which hosts which did not performed any
modifications (green) or hosts with pending modifications.

Since the upgrade, it is always green for these 3 cases and I have to
put the mouse on the status icon to see the real status. There is no
logic in here, because it should draw attention if the host performed
modifications or if there are pending modifications. Since it always
green, we do not easily know when modifications were made.

What was the main reason to change this behavior ? Is there any
possibility to come back to old behavior ?

Regards,

··· -- Elodie

Hello

this is related to the new global status feature. You can find more information
about how it works and the motivation in our demo [1], it's the first
presentation in that demo.

I believe that configurable host columns (per user) would help in use-case
where you're only interested in configuration sub-status. You can upvote
existing issue [2] which is there for a while (6 years). Also you can try a
plugin to customize columns [3], the property that you'd use is

host.configuration_status

or
host.configuration_status_label

I think in future we should introduce a widget that would display global
status distribution similarly to what we have for configuration sub-status.

[1] https://plus.google.com/events/ch9n8k4ebb4e9v8pl8nra2bcjro?n=1
[2] Feature #32: Provide a way to organize the Inventory display in the Hosts page - Foreman
[3] https://github.com/GregSutcliffe/foreman_column_view

Hope this helps

··· On Wednesday 23 of March 2016 11:04:37 Elodie Benoit-Bertoncello wrote: > Hi, > > Before the upgrade to 1.10, the color of the status icon before the name > of host in the "all hosts" page was respecting the same color code as > the one available in the dashboard page (blue, green, orange, red....). > We were also able to see wich hosts that had performed modifications > without error (blue) and which hosts which did not performed any > modifications (green) or hosts with pending modifications. > > Since the upgrade, it is always green for these 3 cases and I have to > put the mouse on the status icon to see the real status. There is no > logic in here, because it should draw attention if the host performed > modifications or if there are pending modifications. Since it always > green, we do not easily know when modifications were made. > > What was the main reason to change this behavior ? Is there any > possibility to come back to old behavior ? > > Regards,

Marek

Hi Marek,

Thank you for your answer.

I carefully listen to your presentation, but "apparently we only need
these 3 values" is not a convincing argument.
If something has changed, it does not mean it is ok. If puppetlabs
created many statuses, I believe there is a reason. I may not want
changes, so status is not OK.

Plus, with foreman < 1.10, there was a consistency between colors of the
host configuration chart in the dashboard and the host list.

Finally, Foreman column view plugin can be a solution for my need. But,
there is a lack of documentation (what am I suppose to write into
content ?) and in my first test I had a trouble with column position,
maybe something linked to bug¹. The usage of an index instead of the
column name also comes with trouble of column position.

cat /etc/foreman/plugins/foreman_column_view.yaml
:column_view:
:foo:
:title: foo
:after: 1
:content: facts_hash['uptime']

dpkg -l |grep foreman-column
ii ruby-foreman-column-view 0.2.1
all Foreman Column View Plugin

If I set after, to last_report, there is no problem with column
position, but it is not what I want and what I need.

Any hint ?

Thank you.

Elodie

¹ https://github.com/GregSutcliffe/foreman_column_view/issues/11

··· On 23/03/2016 13:53, Marek Hulán wrote: > On Wednesday 23 of March 2016 11:04:37 Elodie Benoit-Bertoncello wrote: >> Hi, >> >> Before the upgrade to 1.10, the color of the status icon before the name >> of host in the "all hosts" page was respecting the same color code as >> the one available in the dashboard page (blue, green, orange, red....). >> We were also able to see wich hosts that had performed modifications >> without error (blue) and which hosts which did not performed any >> modifications (green) or hosts with pending modifications. >> >> Since the upgrade, it is always green for these 3 cases and I have to >> put the mouse on the status icon to see the real status. There is no >> logic in here, because it should draw attention if the host performed >> modifications or if there are pending modifications. Since it always >> green, we do not easily know when modifications were made. >> >> What was the main reason to change this behavior ? Is there any >> possibility to come back to old behavior ? >> >> Regards, > Hello > > this is related to the new global status feature. You can find more information > about how it works and the motivation in our demo [1], it's the first > presentation in that demo. > > I believe that configurable host columns (per user) would help in use-case > where you're only interested in configuration sub-status. You can upvote > existing issue [2] which is there for a while (6 years). Also you can try a > plugin to customize columns [3], the property that you'd use is > > host.configuration_status > or > host.configuration_status_label > > I think in future we should introduce a widget that would display global > status distribution similarly to what we have for configuration sub-status. > > [1] https://plus.google.com/events/ch9n8k4ebb4e9v8pl8nra2bcjro?n=1 > [2] http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/32 > [3] https://github.com/GregSutcliffe/foreman_column_view > > Hope this helps > > -- > Marek >