Subscription Manager for Debian & Ubuntu on apt.atix.de

I tried installing subscription-manager on Debian 11 (bullseye), but it fails due to several missing and not installable dependencies. They are only available in their python3 versions.

# dpkg -i python-subscription-manager_1.25.1-4_amd64.deb                                      
(Reading database ... 42624 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack python-subscription-manager_1.25.1-4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking python-subscription-manager (1.25.1-4) over (1.25.1-4) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-subscription-manager:
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-dateutil; however:
  Package python-dateutil is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-ethtool; however:
  Package python-ethtool is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-iniparse; however:
  Package python-iniparse is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-six; however:
  Package python-six is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-dbus; however:
  Package python-dbus is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-rpm; however:
  Package python-rpm is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on virt-what; however:
  Package virt-what is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-debian; however:
  Package python-debian is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-apt; however:
  Package python-apt is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-gobject; however:
  Package python-gobject is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on python-decorator; however:
  Package python-decorator is not installed.
 python-subscription-manager depends on apt-transport-katello; however:
  Package apt-transport-katello is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package python-subscription-manager (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.20-2) ...
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.69) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 python-subscription-manager
root@ethel-alcosiba:~# cat /etc/debian_version 

The Ubuntu 20.04 version does not work, either, due to higher Python 3 version on bullsyeye.

# apt-get install -y python3-subscription-manager
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
python3-subscription-manager is already the newest version (1.25.1-4).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 python3-subscription-manager : Depends: python3 (< 3.9) but 3.9.2-3 is to be installed
                                Depends: python3-dateutil but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: python3-ethtool but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: python3-iniparse but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: python3-six but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: python3-rpm but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: virt-what but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: python3-debian but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: python3-decorator but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

We are working on publishing subscription-manager for Debian 11 on apt.atix.de soon! I will keep you posted.

4 Likes

Update: Weā€™ve published subscription-manager and katello-host-tools for Debian 11 ā€˜Bullseyeā€™ on apt.atix.de.

4 Likes

You also removed the Debian 10 repo. Any chance of restoring this repo?

Thank you.

Yes, we are hearing the feedback of the community loud and clear.

I will have a look at this on Monday.

3 Likes

You rock! Thanks for bringing that repo back up. :star_struck:

4 Likes

Yes, itā€™s back: weā€™re (again) providing subscription-manager and katello-host-tools for Debian 10 on apt.atix.de.

Thanks for your feedback!

4 Likes

Hi I am enjoying this discussion as I want to enroll Ubuntu clients with forman-katello.
I have used a minimal ubuntu vagrant image.
Everything is setup like Maximilian explained for ubuntu clients.
Client is correct registered and can download available packages. Only thing that I am missing (right now) is to see what packages are installed on the client (from foreman).
I know /usr/bin/package-profile-upload should do the job and when running it says only ā€œNo updates performed. See /var/log/rhsm/rhsm.log for more informationā€ and with logging level on debug /var/log/rhsm/rhsm.log shows:
Connection built: host=xxxxx.lan port=443 handler=/rhsm auth=identity_cert ca_dir=/etc/rhsm/ca/ insecure=False.
Also tried frace to see if there is something that is blocking but no luck.
I have seen screenshots where a content host is displaying the packages that are available to that host.
Am I missing something?

Hi,
Need some help registering Ubuntu 20.04 client with foreman. Following steps from [A] .
Steps did so far

1. Added Index of /Ubuntu20LTS stable main
  2. Imported key
  3. apt update
  4. apt-get install -y python3-subscription-manager failing with error
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 python3-subscription-manager : Depends: python3-ethtool but it is not installable
                                Depends: python3-iniparse but it is not installable
                                Depends: python3-rpm but it is not installable
                                Depends: virt-what but it is not installable

[A] : https://apt.atix.de/

This worked after I enabled ā€œUniverseā€ repo.

2 Likes

Well, seems to be working fine, however Iā€™m a bit surprised nobody mentioned these messages in /var/log/rhsm/rhsm.log:
ā€¦
2022-02-16 22:06:48,143 [WARNING] subscription-manager:180075:MainThread @repolib.py:124 - Configuration file of dnf plugin: ā€œ/etc/dnf/plugins/product-id.confā€ cannot be read
ā€¦
I checked the code and that repolib.py is trying to read yum or dnf plugin configuration which doesnā€™t exist of course. Did I miss something?

Thanks @Polle for bringing this up.
We will have a look at it and report back to you.

IMHO subscription-manager running on Debian/Ubuntu should not look for dnf/dnf plugin config files.

1 Like

Small update @Polle

We verified the issue and put it on our TODO.

However, this warning in the log file does not impact the functionality of subscription-manager on both Debian and Ubuntu.

1 Like

subscription-manager refresh is not updating repositories under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rhsm.sources

I have shared the entire logs in new thread under katello

Hi Melanie and Maximilian,
what happened to the source release plans? I really appreciate the work invested here and would be interested in trying it out, but trusting a binary-only repository is not feasible for our use case.
I didnā€™t check all the software packages included, but at least subscription-manager is GPLv2-licensed, so binary-only distribution isnā€™t really a legally viable option if you modified anythingā€¦

sorry, we dont have time for this currently.

The sub-man is packaged python code. So, you can unpack it and analyze the code.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will do so!

1 Like

Hey @Polle

@goarsna has fixed this issue: commit in subscription-manager. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Last update for apt.atix.de: You are now automatically forwarded to oss.atix.de. Please post any questions to packaged subscription-manager for SLES on oss.atix.de.

3 Likes

Thank you

I adjust your URL source to my katello