Synced content not available

Under New host (or New hostgroup). “Synced content” is not available (grayed out) even if I selected and synced Red Hat kickstart repositories and added to a CV, together with Base repo.

I see that a new operating system is correctly created but no synced content.

I have some experience with Foreman/Satellite but I was unable to solve. In the past, I had some issues due to an outage of RH CDN during initial sync but now I think it’s different.
What is the full procedure to debug synced content creation?

Hey @Mimmus,

What kickstart repos do you have synced and what is the arch/os of the host? This option will show if there are synced kickstart repos that will match the host.

Red Hat 8 BaseOS 8
Red Hat 8 AppStream 8
Red Hat 8 Supplementary 8
+
Red Hat 8 BaseOS Kickstart 8.0
Red Hat 8 AppStream Kickstart 8.0 repos

Obviously x86_64/Red Hat 8.0

@Mimmus Thanks for sharing, this feels like something that requires further investigation. I’m guessing there is a difference in RHEL8 kickstart repos that we are not detecting. Do you mind filing an issue?

http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/katello/issues/new

Investigating better within us, the server runs Satellite 6.3 that is actually unsupported from Red Hat (EOL). They claim that:
“Although certain basic functionalities within RHEL8 clients might technically work in older versions of Satellite, there will be no support . To deploy or maintain RHEL8 clients via Satellite, upgrading or installing Satelite 5.8 or Satellite 6.5+ is mandatory

As upgrade is difficult in our environment, I was hoping at least to be able to define RHEL8 as new OS for deploy of new VMs.

The reason Satellite 6.5+ is required for RHEL8 support is due to the fact that the install process for RHEL8 is indeed different. Changes were required in order to support RHEL8 provisioning in Foreman and Katello, which were only released in the versions included in Satellite 6.5+ (Foreman 1.20/Katello 3.10).

I’m afraid that in order to provision RHEL8 you will need to plan for your upgrade to a more recent version of Satellite.
As a side benefit, upgrading to the latest version will get you many usability, stability, security and performance improvements that were done in the ~2 years since 6.3 was released, as well as the support that is included in your Satellite subscription. Upgrades have also improved and are much easier and faster to perform than in the earlier (6.0-6.2) days, and Red Hat support will likely be able to assist you with planning an executing said upgrade.

I understand.
Real problem is Puppet: there is no strategy to test actual modules compatibility with new version of Puppet. It could be that I will find some/all modules not working and I will need an emergency upgrade, without before testing one by one.

I believe puppet has an upgrade tool that can help you verify your modules are compatible with the newer version, or you could spin up an additional satellite in a lab environment and test them out before rolling out the upgrade.