Target platforms supported by foreman

Problem:
Evaluating foreman as a replacement for spacewalk
Expected outcome:
list of supported OSs / Platforms e.g.

1. CentOS 6, 7
  2. RHEL 6, 7 ( do i need a license for updating yum repos ) ?
  3. ubuntu 14, 16, 17, etc
    Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Other relevant data:
[e.g. logs from Foreman and/or the Proxy, modified templates, commands issued, etc]

Isn’t that the list we have at Foreman :: Manual

the supported platform as mentioned in the manual:
Supported platforms
CentOS, Scientific Linux or Oracle Linux 7, x86_64
Debian 8 (Jessie), i386/amd64/armhf/aarch64
Debian 9 (Stretch), i386/amd64/armhf/aarch64
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, x86_64
Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial), i386/amd64/armhf/aarch64
Other operating systems will need to use alternative installation methods

seem to be for Installing Foreman, and NOT for the target Nodes
please correct me if i am wrong
Thanks

Correct, that’s for installing Foreman.

When it comes to target nodes, it supports many OSs, https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/tree/develop/app/models/operatingsystems - what kind of equipment are you worried about?

Foreman works with any OS that has scripptable installer (recipe support, kickstart, preseed or similar) when it comes to provisioning, then it integrates with anything that is compatible with Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt or other configuration management plugins we have.

List of “supported platforms” would be very long, we don’t maintain anything like that. Something is integrated deeply, something else works just a bit.

Our list of built in provisioning templates could be a good starting point, but as @lzap said it’s very flexible because it’s template based.

Thanks that helps. What about Support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and 7, do i need to have to buy service agreement with RedHat in order to get updates and being able to patch ?

Vague question, let me try to answer. You can use Foreman and Katello without paying anything, you can sync content from CDN if you want. But to be able to access Red Hat repositories (RHEL, RHV, other products) on Akamai CDN you need a contract, those bits are published via HTTPS which require X509 client certificate available through “manifest” file and subscription-manager.

Can we add Rocky Linux and Alma Linux as supported platform to run foreman in the [manual]{Foreman :: Manual}?

I tried installing foreman on Alma Linux 8.5 and it worked.