Terminology for Remote Management

Is "job" a common and accepted term, and something we want to stick
with, when referring to jobs/tasks/whatever on remote hosts?

See
Foreman :: Plugin Manuals.
1Determiningthesmartproxyforhost

"In order to perform the job on a host, there needs to be a Smart
Proxy available to do the job."

What exactly constitutes a "job"? Is it just a command? A group or
sequence of commands? A script? Any of the above?

I know "cronjob" is perfectly legitimate, but I don't know if this is
the preferred term for Remote Management.

thanks

I don't know about the general opinion, but as remote execution team,
we are pretty sold on the name: we wanted a name, that would be different
than 'task' or 'action' as they all have already some other meaning in the system,
and this one was free of some other meanings. We also didn't want to use term 'script'
because in future, when more tools gets integrated it would cause confusion (the script
makes sense mostly when talking in terms of SSH, not that much in ansible or mcollective)

– Ivan

··· ----- Original Message ----- > Is "job" a common and accepted term, and something we want to stick > with, when referring to jobs/tasks/whatever on remote hosts? > > See > http://theforeman.org/plugins/foreman_remote_execution/0.2/index.html#4. > 1Determiningthesmartproxyforhost > > "In order to perform the job on a host, there needs to be a Smart > Proxy available to do the job." > > What exactly constitutes a "job"? Is it just a command? A group or > sequence of commands? A script? Any of the above? > > I know "cronjob" is perfectly legitimate, but I don't know if this is > the preferred term for Remote Management. > > thanks > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "foreman-dev" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >

Sounds like "job" is the way to go. Thanks all.

··· On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 4:49:56 PM UTC+10, David O'Brien wrote: > > Is "job" a common and accepted term, and something we want to stick > with, when referring to jobs/tasks/whatever on remote hosts? > > See > http://theforeman.org/plugins/foreman_remote_execution/0.2/index.html#4. > 1Determiningthesmartproxyforhost > > "In order to perform the job on a host, there needs to be a Smart > Proxy available to do the job." > > What exactly constitutes a "job"? Is it just a command? A group or > sequence of commands? A script? Any of the above? > > I know "cronjob" is perfectly legitimate, but I don't know if this is > the preferred term for Remote Management. > > thanks > >

From Merriam-Webster:

··· --- Job - noun \ˈjäb\

1 a : a piece of work; especially : a small miscellaneous piece of work
undertaken on order

That seems a pretty good fit with what Ivan is talking about, in addition
to the overloading of other terms he mentions. +1 from me.