Trying to understand how to optimize Operating System, Installation Media etc

Hi,

Currently I have a infrastructure that is answering my needs but I don’t think I built it correctly. Let me explain :
I have a subnet which is non-routable and used for TFTP and DHCP and another subnet which is the “real” subnet carrying the reachable IP (for HTTP, SSH etc…)
So when I provision a host i create two interfaces with the two subnets (and i tick the right boxes for each subnet).
When i was building the Foreman infrastructure I noticed that i can’t used the default CentOS installation media because the provisionned VM used my non-routable subnet and so can’t reach internet :

So i configured a ftp on Foreman server and unzip the correct ISO (for 7.7 for example) and then created an installation media with the correct medium URL on the non-routable IP (ftp://…)

In fact it is not really flexible because when a new minor version of CentOS is released, i download the ISO unzip it etc… Another thing it that i don’t know which ISO i have to download, it seems that the minimal one is not enough because it not contains wget so generally i take the DVD one but its size is like 5Go. I am wondering if it is possible to download the minimal ISO and add the wget package.

I read the manual a lot but i am wondering if I have a good understanding of how Foreman works because I don’t really see a better solution but i am sure that it can be optimized.

Thank you for your answer and keep the good work !

Hello.

I suggest to deploy with Katello plugin and use its synchronization feature to download and distribute the CentOS content:

https://docs.theforeman.org/guides/build/doc-Content_Management_Guide/index-foreman.html

https://docs.theforeman.org/guides/build/doc-Provisioning_Guide/index-foreman.html

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you for your answer, when i read the Katello plugin documentation I noticed this :
DO NOT attempt to install Katello on an existing Foreman deployment

So I have to reinstall my Foreman infrastructure from scratch ?

This is true.

1 Like