UI/UX Interest Group Meeting's Future

Hi all,

We have an open meeting with the community regarding foreman’s UI/UX twice a month (visible at the foreman’s Events) in this meeting anyone can raise a topic or a question, whether it’s about frontend development or general design suggestions.

More than a year after, the community presence is still very low, if any. We would like to see more new faces and for achieving that some changes of the meeting’s properties and goals may be required (such as a better name/description, another timeslot, duration, frequency, or any other suggestion)

We would like to hear your opinion about the meeting’s future, hoping to see you at the UI interest group meeting as well :slight_smile:

5 Likes
  • I think 30 mins instead of 1 hour might be better.
  • Maybe we should change the day… as Monday might be hard for people to attend or have enough time to add something to the agenda, especially for America’s timezone
  • As for the agenda, maybe we should post it a week or two earlier and link in it all of the relevant discussions so we could also get decisions and actions about them?

I like all the suggestions.
A day and time is very hard to get right for everyone, and I think the current time is as respectful as possible given the geographic locations.

I think I might have at one point attended half a meeting.
From what I understand, you use this meeting to work through tasks and issues?
For example, I am opening an event in the calendar and the agenda is as follows:

The only thing I can think of is that it might be hard for a newcomer to dive straight into that.
If I wanted to join, where would I even begin?
Do you ever discuss more higher level topics?
Is there any contributor guidelines related to UI/UX specifically?
Should we maybe look for community folks every now and again to demo for us their setups, how they move through the UI, so we have a better understanding?

Just some thoughts.

1 Like

My comments here aren’t strictly on the UI/UX meetings, but rather some general thoughts about format that may apply.

I can’t speak for everyone, but when I was a community member I was always very hesitant to join video calls. Or rather, I never felt welcome enough. The barrier always felt incredibly high. Now that it’s my day job the barrier is lower, and yet I still feel it.

I must also say that in general I dislike the very synchronous nature of it. It means I must essentially block off that timeslot in my agenda. If I’m a volunteer it’s really hard to justify to take time out of my day job.

To me text and asynchronous communication is easier to consume. I might half follow a meeting over IRC while doing other work (I’ve done so in the past). If not, I can read the minutes (see https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/ for an example).

So take this as you like. I understand written meetings may not be for everyone.

1 Like