Updating Patternfly 4 to Patternfly 5

I’m working on updating PF 4 → 5 it should be pretty straight forward as there are codemods available (PatternFly • Major release upgrade guide)
It is going mostly smoothly as things seem to work in my shallow test, just a few custom foreman css issues as classes were deleted/changed a bit.
A possible hiccup might be plugins, so we might need to run pf4 with pf5 or upgrade all at once.
Also testing might need some adjustments.

Right now its not my highest priority but it will get done, please let me know if this is urgent for anyone.

WIP here:

2 Likes

What is the current state of Patternfly 3 in our usage? Will this transition mean we go from having P3 and P4 to P3 and P5?

pf3 is still used a lot and once in a while we move a component from 3 to 4.

Will this transition mean we go from having P3 and P4 to P3 and P5?

Yes we will have pf3 and pf5 (and maybe pf4 for plugins, not sure)

Is there a plan to deprecate pf3 components and drop them? It’s probably a worth its own RFC, but completing these transitions is something we’ve historically not been great at.

Is there a plan to deprecate pf3 components and drop them? It’s probably a worth its own RFC, but completing these transitions is something we’ve historically not been great at.

Yes its in Jira, (which is still not public), and contains the list for all things to do in foreman core. Since I am working on webpack/node18, and other UI people have are working on new pages, we are not prioritizing pf3 upgrades I guess.