Upgrade 3.6 to 3.10

running foreman 3.6, katello 4.8

question: can I upgrade 3.6 → 3.10 (katello 4.8 → 4.12 directly? I’m reading it might be a stepped upgrade?

Seems the process is via dnf but using the specific repo for the version you need, so wondered if i could get away with direct upgrade to 3.10

thanks

I’ve always done each version upgrade in sequence, when I’ve gotten behind. The upgrade instructions usually say something like “upgrade paths: you can upgrade to Foreman 3.(n) from Foreman 3.(n-1).” But there are folks around who can give you a more authoritative answer.

No, you need to do 3.6 > 3.7 > 3.8 > 3.9 > 3.10. Any other upgrade path is not supported. That’s why the upgrade docs say, for example, “You can upgrade to 3.10 from 3.9” but they do not say “You can upgrade to 3.10 from 3.6.”

The alternative is to stand up a new 3.10 from scratch, but that may have its own difficulties, like reregistering hosts, etc.

1 Like

Keep in mind Foreman is basically a Ruby on Rails app that applies data model (database) changes for each version as you upgrade.

If you do them out of order the database tables could theoretically be messed up, or you may skip a critical database change, table change etc

Most ruby on rails app updates have to be done in sequential order and not skipped for that reason.

thanks, will stick with the stepped upgrade then
I’ve just gone through the steps for one of our proxies and the installer has flagged the below error:

2024-04-10 09:28:43 [ERROR ] [configure] /Stage[main]/Foreman_proxy::Tftp::Netboot/File[/var/lib/tftpboot/grub2/grubx64.efi]: Could not evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment production source(s) file:///boot/efi/EFI/oraclelinux/grubx64.efi
2024-04-10 09:28:43 [ERROR ] [configure] /Stage[main]/Foreman_proxy::Tftp::Netboot/File[/var/lib/tftpboot/grub2/shimx64.efi]: Could not evaluate: Could not retrieve information from environment production source(s) file:///boot/efi/EFI/oraclelinux/shimx64.efi

Only related article I could see online was from redhat satellite, which said to reinstall grub2-efi-x64
I did this but same result.

Any ideas?

I am running OEL8.9 FWIW, latest non uek firmware

a reinstall of both grubx64 and shimx64 did not fix this. However, it does seem that it does upgrade from 3.6 → 3.7 and reflects this in the Foreman infrastructure section.
That said, foreman-installer is not happy, so I am not sure if I should continue with 3.7-> 3.8 until sorted.

Any advice here, would be much appreciated. It’s never simple with Foreman is it :slight_smile: