Upgrading postgresql 9.2 to 9.6

Hi Support,

Problem:
I would like to upgrade postgresql 9.2 to 9.6 so that I will be able to install puppetdb on the server (it requires postgresql 9.6 to work). I found these instructions for a fresh install https://www.theforeman.org/2018/02/running-foreman-with-postgresql-96-from-software-collections.html, which do not work for a current install because it complains about a conflict with postgresql 9.2. Is there a safe way to upgrade postgresql without having to start from scratch?

Foreman and Proxy versions:
foreman 1.23.0
katello 3.13.0
postgresql 9.2
centos 7

Thanks,
Tania

Howdy,

There is likely a path where you backup Postgres database and upgrade it to a 9.6 in the correct locations. This is today an unsupported use case. In Foreman 1.25 (due to be released around the February time frame) we will be upgrading the default Postgres installation to Postgres 10 via a Software Collection and providing a supported upgrade path.

I recall that the blog was specifically about Foreman since within Katello there was a conflicting component (Candlepin?). IIRC, that particular one was fixed but if you have a specific error about the conflict then it’s much easier to debug.

Thank you for your response. It took a bit of work, but ended up installing puppetdb and postgres on a different server in the end.