Windows 2019 missing in VMWare GuestOS field

Problem:
We recently started integrating our Windows Server environment into Foreman. When setting up Compute Profiles for our VMWare Compute Resources, we realized that Windows Server 2019 is not selectable for the “Guest OS” field. I assumed this was a problem due to the fact we were/are running a rather old Foreman version (2.0.3). But I just discovered that the version we will be updating our production environment to this weekend (2.5.3) still does not offer Server 2019.

Expected outcome:
Beeing able to select “Windows Server 2019” as VMWare Guest OS

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Name 	Description 	Author 	Version
foreman-tasks 	The goal of this plugin is to unify the way of showing task statuses across the Foreman instance. It defines Task model for keeping the information about the tasks and Lock for assigning the tasks to resources. The locking allows dealing with preventing multiple colliding tasks to be run on the same resource. It also optionally provides Dynflow infrastructure for using it for managing the tasks. 	Ivan Nečas 	4.1.5
foreman_bootdisk 	Plugin for Foreman that creates iPXE-based boot disks to provision hosts without the need for PXE infrastructure. 	Dominic Cleal 	17.1.0
foreman_expire_hosts 	A Foreman plugin that allows hosts to expire at a configurable date. Hosts will be shut down and automatically deleted after a grace period. 	Nagarjuna Rachaneni and Timo Goebel 	7.0.4
foreman_hooks 	Plugin engine for Foreman that enables running custom hook scripts on Foreman events 	Dominic Cleal 	0.3.17
foreman_remote_execution 	A plugin bringing remote execution to the Foreman, completing the config management functionality with remote management functionality. 	Foreman Remote Execution team 	4.5.6
foreman_scc_manager 	Foreman plugin to sync SUSE Customer Center products and repositories into Katello. 	ATIX AG 	1.8.10
foreman_snapshot_management 	Foreman-plugin to manage snapshots in a virtual-hardware environments. 	ATIX AG 	2.0.1
foreman_templates 	Engine to synchronise provisioning templates from GitHub 	Greg Sutcliffe 	9.1.0
katello 	Katello adds Content and Subscription Management to Foreman. For this it relies on Candlepin and Pulp. 	N/A 	4.1.4
puppetdb_foreman 	Disable hosts on PuppetDB after they are deleted or built in Foreman. Follow https://github.com/theforeman/puppetdb_foreman and raise an issue/submit a pull request if you need extra functionality. You can also find some help in #theforeman IRC channel on Freenode. 	Daniel Lobato Garcia 	5.0.0

Distribution and version:
RHEL7

Other relevant data:
I primarily would like to know if this is known/intended or even fixed in a recent Foreman version. I assume this is some limitation of libfog but maybe this is also just some form of oversight that could easily be fixed on our side.

This seems to still be an issue in current releases.
I have opened Bug #35766: Windows Server 2019 not selectable as VSphere Guest OS - Foreman for this. If this is acutally as simple as putting an additional entry into foreman/vmware.rb at develop · theforeman/foreman · GitHub I would also open a PR for this.
Can someone tell me if it is actually this simple?

@areyus

You should be able to just add it, if you try it on your setup and it works, can you make a pr?

iirc those values map back to the rbvmomi but if it works for you then I would create a pr.

I tried adding them, but that has not worked for me.
I assume this is due to rbvmomi. The latest released rbvmomi should have Windows 2019 (since the last rbvmomi version was released in 2021), but Foreman/Fog still pulls in an older version.

Hi,
Any new update??

I started a different thread about the future of VMWare integration: Any plans on replacing rbvmomi?
According to the answers there, a new VSphere integration should land in 3.6

Maybe We have option to do it manually?

Bug #36023: VMWare Guest OS list is outdated - Foreman has notes on the implementation, which is indeed what @areyus also found. So rbvmomi2 should land in 3.6, but Windows 2019 will probably still miss since it’s a manual mapping.

@ekhol / @areyus
Windows server 2022 also will be at 3.6??
:slight_smile: