Add addtional column to Host page

I want to add additional column to below image, is that possible ?

Foreman and Proxy versions:
foreman 2.5
Distribution and version:
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Thanks in advance

Regards
Neeloj

There is GitHub - theforeman/foreman_column_view: A simple Foreman plugin showcasing Deface for altering the Hosts view but the installation should mention that you can use the installer (foreman-installer --enable-foreman-plugin-column-view from the top of my head). Perhaps that helps you?

1 Like

thank you so much @ekohl , I had below error with that:

#: foreman-installer --enable-foreman-plugin-column-view
2021-07-13 10:57:26 [NOTICE] [root] Loading installer configuration. This will take some time.
2021-07-13 10:57:34 [NOTICE] [root] Running installer with log based terminal output at level NOTICE.
2021-07-13 10:57:34 [NOTICE] [root] Use -l to set the terminal output log level to ERROR, WARN, NOTICE, INFO, or DEBUG. See --full-help for definitions.
2021-07-13 10:57:36 [ERROR ] [root] Parameter foreman-plugin-column-view-columns invalid: Hash value elements are invalid: nil is not a valid hash
Error during configuration, exiting

I install the plugin via apt-get, and its listed in plugins on GUI:

but the file /etc/foreman/plugins/foreman_column_view.yaml is not available, is there any trick or any .example files ?

thanks in advance

check this file /etc/foreman/plugins/foreman_column_view.yaml.example, adapt it, rename it and restart foreman.

This file is available with rpm, not sure with apt flavour. If not, here the sample:

cat /etc/foreman/plugins/foreman_column_view.yaml.example
# Copy this file to foreman_column_view.yaml to enable, then restart Foreman
#
# See tfm-rubygem-foreman_column_view-doc and /opt/theforeman/tfm/root/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_column_view-0.4.0/README.md for more information
:column_view:
  :architecture:
    :title: Architecture
    :after: last_report
    :content: facts_hash['architecture']
  :uptime:
    :title: Uptime
    :after: architecture
    :content: facts_hash['uptime']
1 Like

thanks for your answer @kobena.

Its available on apt too, but you have to create the file foreman_column_view.yaml its not created by default with .example

What I dont find is how to create linke for the content parameter. I want to link that also to the host.

What do you mean by content parameter ? Content View ? Smart Proxy ?

1 Like

Here I want to have something like :

:content: link_to( facts_hash['architecture']) so the user can click on the architecture and go to next page.

if you need a link_to, not sure you can use facts_hash.

Maybe something like this may works:

:architecture:
    :title: Architecture
	:content: link_to(#{host.architecture}, "https://katello.fqdn/hosts?search=architecture+%3D+#{host.architecture}")

Just check the link to access to your architectures, it seems look like this form:

https://<katello.fqdn>/hosts?search=architecture+%3D+<archirecture>

Sorry I canā€™t help you more, my ruby ā€‹ā€‹knowledge ends here.

1 Like

thank you so much, I edit 2 foreman files! and it works for me and did what I want.
But I have to be carefull when I update the foreman :smiley: ! I have to edit them again!

Iā€™ll check your solution too, its better if that works!

thank you again @kobena

excellent!

In addition, when I have this type of need from a client, I avoid as much as possible adding plugins nor customizing Katello as much as possible. Updates are getting more and more complicated, and Iā€™m never sure Iā€™m going backwards.

Now, I manage this type of need by developing a prometheus exporter and by using Katello APIs, and by making beautiful grafana dashboards. Usually, it does the job if you donā€™t have 10,000 hosts and thousand of metrics. If this is the case, massively multiprocessing and pagination must be used.

1 Like

You are right, but in this case its for me, it makes a little bit easier, now I dont have to search in another system for the host. Now I can click that in foreman and I go directly to the next system when I click on it.

its on my To-Do-List but I dont have time for it :frowning:

delighted to have been able to exchange with you :wink:

Do not hesitate to close this topic if you consider your problem solved

1 Like

me too @kobena thank you again

of course Ill do that :slight_smile:

Hey.

Can you confirm if this plugin works with foreman 3.8 ?
I installed it successfully - I can see it in Administer/About/Plugins.

Configuration file didnā€™t exist in my case.
So I did what kobena suggested. I created a file in:
/etc/foreman/plugins/foreman_column_view.yaml

but it seeems this doesnā€™t work as I canā€™t see new columns.

@cps86 in foreman 3.7 I still see the new column. try only one column and check the logs too.

1 Like

Hey

Actually I managed to get it work.
However, I have a problem with links. I want to display simple link in my column, e.g.:

:name2:
    :title: test
    :content: link_to("something", "https://www.google.com")

I donā€™t have any other column in my configuration.
When I try to open the page I get:

**Oops, we're sorry but something went wrong** undefined method link_to(ā€˜somethingā€™, ā€œhttps://www.google.comā€)ā€™ for #Host::Managed:0x000055ee65cb44c8`

Does it work for you?

1 Like

Hey @cps86 sorry I forget to say that the links doesnā€™t work for me tooā€¦ I leave it because it take to much timeā€¦ you have to check the parameter options, if you can set _blank to open it in new window or so

@Neeloj I figured it out.

Edit hosts_helper.rb file which was installed with foreman_column_view plugin.
In my case it was in:
/usr/share/foreman/vendor/ruby/2.7.0/gems/foreman_column_view-0.4.0/app/helpers/foreman_column_view/hosts_helper.rb

In the fcv_content method, edit if condition as it follows:

if content =~ /(.*)\[(.*)\]/
        return host.send($1)[$2.gsub(/['"]/,'')]
      elsif content =~ /^link_to/
        return eval(content)
      else
        return host.send(content)
      end

Final result :grinning: :star_struck:

1 Like

wow that looks good :slight_smile:
can you maybe also post the content of the plugins file :slight_smile: @cps86