Client repository for Debian / Ubuntu

I want to bring up this topic also if I can not do the work.

For the rpm based distribution we offer a client repository containing the katello-agent and scap-client, but for Debian and Ubuntu we do not offer this tools. There will be no katello-agent as far as I understood but for registering the systems to Katello we would need subscription-manager (which includes debian packaging instruction in https://github.com/candlepin/subscription-manager) and some package trace upload (can not find it at the moment). OpenSCAP and policies are available, so it would be also only packaging the client gem.

So I think we should provide this for full support of the Debian family and it should be a manageable effort (but I could be wrong).

I would be happy to hear some opinions and estimations of how much work it would be, especially from @mmoll as he does most (or all?) of the Debian packaging, @bernhard_suttner as he knows what ATIX perhaps already did and can provide and @tbrisker for release managers perspective.

CC @chris_nbg

3 Likes

For historical reasons we’ve included hammer in our base repository but in reality it’s more a client package. If there are Debian client repositories, then I’d consider moving it there.

Hi, the package_profile_upload is part of subscription-manager. There is no need for an additional (source) package.

Makes sense as far as I’m concerned, no idea regarding the amount of effort required to actually do it since I understand debian packaging even less than I do rpm packaging. @packaging team - what do you think?

Generally :+1:, but no idea how much work it’d be.

Do we have a working version of the deb package subscription-manager for ubuntu clients yet so that they can register to katello ?

There’s a consumable repository containing the subscription-manager for Debian 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 on apt.atix.de. See also Subscription Manager for Debian & Ubuntu on apt.atix.de

2 Likes