General

Making docs primary documentation source

Mini retrospective:

Mini retrospective on meeting format:

• What works well?
  • What doesn’t work well?
  • What should we improve?

Triage

Anything updated within the past week can be ignored during triage. If someone wants to discuss a specific issue/PR then it should be added to the agenda.

General

• PRProcessor now applies labels to all PRs

Making docs primary documentation source

There is a strong desire to work on this, but right now there’s limited capacity to work on it.

@ekohl will copy the lists from last week’s meeting to the RFC.

Mini retrospective

We can’t seem to get everyone here at the same time, so we’ll do it written. Everyone please leave a comment answering the 3 questions and any further comments.

Triage

Went over all open PRs and some open issues.

My two cents for the miniretrospective:

What works well?

• I like the progress the team is making with regards to resolving stale issues and PRs.

What doesn’t work well?

• Screensharing to review the issues/PRs as a group (everything is difficult to read, at least on a laptop screen). Suggestion for improvement: Remind the person sharing their screen to zoom in?

What should we improve?

• Nothing else comes to mind.

What works well?

• I am surprised and happy with the state of our PRs. Ignoring drafts, there are no PRs in foreman-documentation that have not been updated/commented on within the last week. This shows that the community is active and welcomes contributions.
  • Our meetings are fun and productive.
  • We have an agenda and stick to it.
  • We document our conclusions here and on the tickets in Github.

What doesn’t work well?

• Due to my single screen setup, I need people to speak up when triaging tickets. I cannot see if someone nods in approval.
  • The timeslot is inconvenient for me because I have an internal meeting each Monday at 2pm.

What should we improve?

• Maybe shorten the meeting to 15 minutes?
  • “Advertise” the meeting in the Foreman (developer) community? Does it make sense to “invite” others? Or at least let them know that it’s happening?

Summary
Overall, I think it works well; but I also see this as a temporary thing for now until we’ve triaged all open issues and PRs. Afterwards, I believe we can consider doing it a) less often or b) asynchronously.

What works well?

• Many of the PRs moved forward with this initiative.
  • Quick fixes are discussed right away, thus saving time.
  • Quick queries can be cleared on the spot.

What doesn’t work well?

• Apart from @asteflova 's view, I don’t feel there is any other point.

What should we improve?

• We can reconsider meeting timings now. Even the day if required that is convenient for all.

Summary
This initiative is going well IMO. We can definitely invite other people from the community to make this even better.

What works well?

• Good discussions, making it a productive meeting
  • Good knowledge sharing
  • Actively improving the meeting, like suggesting a different order to triaging

What doesn’t work well?

• Nothing comes to mind

What should we improve?

• Nothing comes to mind

Responding to others

In my experience triaging with multiple people is always difficult. Even if you can read it, people always processing information at a different pace. Scrolling up and down in an issue with a long history is difficult with multiple people reading it. I have not found a better way than the way we do now.

A few times I’ve tried to summarize the issue when I could. That’s not going to be feasible every time. You can consider assigning someone who then makes sure that at the next meeting they either have a solution or can bring it back to the group for further discussion.

As for the time: right now we always easily use up all the time. I’d be hesitant to shorten it right now. But once we’ve triaged all open issues, keeping up is probably easy. Then we may speak about projects, but if we have nothing to talk about then it can be shortened.

For the time slot: we can move it around.

On the advertising part: we have events in Discourse (Events - TheForeman), which also have an calendar feed. Perhaps adding it there would be beneficial?

1 Like