With 2.0.0 coming soon, it’s time to talk about timelines and features for 2.1.
2.0 was branched last week, February 13th, and to keep up our 3-month release cadence that would mean we should branch for 2.1 on May 12th 2020.
As before, we will be doing a stabilization week prior to branching to ensure we have working nightlies when branching. Larger changes should be merged as early as possible in the release cycle, to ensure enough time to fix bugs prior to branching. Keep in mind that installer module changes should also be merged prior to the stabilization week. As we near the branching date, I will ask your cooperation in focusing more on stabilizing and bug fixing and less on new features.
Proposed schedule for 2.1:
|2.1 Dev Start||February 14|
|2.1 Half Way Point||April 1|
|2.1 Stabilization||May 4|
|2.1 RC1||May 19|
If you have a significant change that you wish to get into 2.1, please set the “Target Version” field on redmine at least for the main tracker for the bug. I will also ask maintainers to make sure that when merged, any major features are added to the “highlighted features” section on the manual, and any deprecations or changes in behavior are also added to the relevant sections. If you wish to discuss any plans, this post’s comments can and should be used for that.
Planned major changes (please add more and update status as we progress):
- EL8 installation support - targeting beta level support
- Foreman default deployment to Puma with an Apache reverse proxy RFC
--upgradeparameter in Katello installer (Feature #29052: Drop upgrade flag - Installer - Foreman)
- Stop accepting TLS 1.1 connections on Foreman Proxy (Feature #29252: Stop accepting TLS 1.1 connections - Smart Proxy - Foreman)
- Allow Katello to connect to Candlepin Artemis (Feature #28924: Enable Artemis from Candlepin for Katello to listen for messages on - Installer - Foreman)
- Full IPv6 initial provisioning and installer support (Ideas for IPv6 netboot provisioning)
- Incorporate apipie-dsl to document template macros. The documentation should be available as part of installed Foreman; similar to /apidoc (Feature #29434: Incorporate apipie-dsl to document template macros - Foreman)
- Rails 6 upgrade Discussion
- Drop Rackspace compute resource
Pushed to 2.2:
- Turn off puppet by default in katello scenario (Defaulting Puppet to off in the Katello Scenario)
- Refactoring of report storage for improved performance (RFC: Optimized reports storage)
Lets also make a list of which versions of plugins and tools are planned to be compatible with 2.1, so that we know what to expect as well. Please add any that you are aware of below:
- Katello 3.16
- Hammer 2.1