Foreman 3.1/Katello 4.3: pulpcore has newer version of createrepo_c-libs on CentOS 8 stream

Problem: Upgrade with pulpcore 3.16 repo fails because packages depend on older createrepo_c-libs (0.17.6-4) than current centos stream 8 has in appstream (0.17.7-7), which causes upgrade to fail without intervention

Expected outcome: Successful upgrade to 3.1 RC / 4.3 RC + tools

Foreman and Proxy versions: 3.1.0rc1

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions: 4.3.0rc1

Distribution and version: CentOS 8 stream, current as of yesterday

Other relevant data:
I was able to work around this by excluding createrepo_c-libs from my appstream repo, but would it be better to build the pulp tooling against the newer package in c8s-stream?

At the moment packaging is still done with Centos Linux 8, but there is an ongoing discussion which distribution should be used in the future.

Maybe this should be an input into that discussion. I get that there’s a larger conversation here, too, but I think it’s going to be very problematic if CentOS stream is not a tested platform. In this case, does the package requirement have to be as strict as it is? (That is, will 0.17.7 as packaged by c8s function improperly?)

The idea being, presumably, that RHEL will be a supported platform, and the packages like this will hit RHEL (and Alma, and Rocky) at some point.

We do test Stream 8 in our pipelines. It actually fails on this issue:

Perhaps here you’re just unlucky that it started to show up during a weekend that’s also a major holiday in the US.