Foreman Installer and Apt Support for Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic

After some extensive searching, I can’t find a clear roadmap on when the new version of Ubuntu LTS is likely to be supported and available as a base operating system.

Puppet themselves haven’t released a Puppet v5 client yet, although testing indicates the Debian Stretch client works without a problem.

This thread mentions it may be supported in either v 1.18 or 1.19 but the base version of ruby (2.5+) could be a sticking point: Ruby 2.2 and 2.5 support

This thread doesn’t mention either ruby 2.5 or 18.04 bionic, so 1.19 would seem like the earliest possible: Foreman 1.18 Release

Does anyone have any more information about where supporting this LTS release fits into the tech roadmap?

Does anyone have any more information about where supporting this LTS release fits into the tech roadmap?

It’s ready when it’s ready.

We’re mainly waiting on PuppetLabs to release packages and updated modules (mainly puppetlabs-postgresql with pgsql 10 and bionic support).

2 Likes

@mmoll thanks for the advice on tracking upstream compatibility.

I note that the Puppet PostgreSQL module now support Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 per the release on the forge date 21/6 and version 5.6.0; this is the PR: https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-postgresql/pull/981

The Apt Puppet 5 client has also been released by Puppet Labs here https://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppet5-release-bionic.deb

I’m not quite sure how features are added to releases, can you please advise the right way to get this added to the most appropriate release (eg, 1.19)?

The puppetserver package is still missing. Once it’s there, I’ll copy over the respective files in our repositories and build the first package set to see, if anything is missing with a default foreman-installer run. Similar to the Debian 9 release, I don’t expect that much work on our side.

Puppetserver packages are here and if everything works as expected (we don’t know, yet!) we can add bionic to the nightly pipeline in the next days and after that also target 1.19.

4 Likes