foreman-nightly-deb-pipeline 787 failed

Foreman DEB nightly pipeline failed:

https://ci.theforeman.org/job/foreman-nightly-deb-pipeline/787/

foreman-pipeline-foreman-nightly-debian10-install (failed) (remote job)
foreman-pipeline-foreman-nightly-ubuntu2004-install (failed) (remote job)
foreman-pipeline-foreman-nightly-debian10-upgrade (failed) (remote job)
foreman-pipeline-foreman-nightly-ubuntu2004-upgrade (failed) (remote job)

grml… need to dig into this on Monday :frowning:

2021-11-06T19:05:59  [E] Disabling all modules in the group ['registration'] due to a failure in one of them: 'templates' required by 'registration' could not be found.
2021-11-06T19:05:59  [W] Error details for Disabling all modules in the group ['registration'] due to a failure in one of them: 'templates' required by 'registration' could not be found.: <Proxy::PluginNotFound>: 'templates' requir
ed by 'registration' could not be found.
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:144:in `block in validate_dependencies!'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:142:in `each'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:142:in `validate_dependencies!'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:135:in `block in validate_dependencies_or_fail'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:135:in `each'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:135:in `validate_dependencies_or_fail'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:178:in `block in initialize_plugins'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:176:in `each'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/proxy/plugin_initializer.rb:176:in `initialize_plugins'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/lib/launcher.rb:173:in `launch'
/usr/share/foreman-proxy/bin/smart-proxy:6:in `<main>'

Which looks like something https://github.com/theforeman/smart-proxy/commit/6e6adfc1153e720a61d8b06582d4777dbece2874 introduced?

cc @ekohl @lstejska

We default to registration true, but templates false? :frowning:

We default to registration true, but templates false?

Looks like we forgot to change it here. I’m wondering where else except the theforeman/puppet-foreman_proxy we have to change it.

I do wonder, what’s more correct, enable templates by default, or disable registration by default?

I think for other proxy modules, we usually default to disabled?

Opened https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-foreman_proxy/pull/714 to enable Templates, but still not sure whether this is really the correct path forward.

I was wondering the exact same thing.

We defaulted to registration enabled by default since it was standalone and didn’t really have an overhead or additional impact.

However, it really doesn’t make sense to enable the registration feature on the Smart Proxy that’s located on the same host as the Foreman instance itself. It just adds complexity. That’s precisely why the Templates module defaults to disabled.

Also remember that in the Foreman scenario HTTP is disabled by default and then the templates module really isn’t all that useful. In fact, that’s more likely to break things.

It does make sense in a scenario which is aimed at just a Smart Proxy. In the Katello world this is the foreman-proxy-content scenario. In vanilla Foreman land there is no equivalent. That’s why I’d suggest to default it to off: it’d cover 2 out of 3 scenarios and we can modify the third in our installer’s answer files.

This fixes the install:

This should fix upgrades:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.