Foreman upgrade 1.24.3 -> 2.3 possible?

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum, at least as a poster, so bear with me please. Anyway, as the subject says, I’m looking for help on the upgrade possibilities of my current Foreman setup (Foreman 1.24.3 + Katello 3.14.1) to the latest version of both. Is it possible and how I should do it? Can I jump straight to 2.3 + Katello 3.18 or do I need to perform this upgrade in steps (1.24.3 -> 2.0 -> 2.1 -> 2.2 -> 2.3)?
My Foreman setup is just plain vanilla install without any extra plugins.
Thank you all in advance!

Jasenko

I apologize for my lack of patience and for not reading the Katello manual in detail. I’ve found that the second sentence in the upgrade section of the document it says: “Upgrades should be performed sequentially without skipping versions in between.”
So, that answered my question.

1 Like

Indeed we only test upgrades one version at a time. Upgrading more than one might work, but there might be issues as well. As a side note, if foreman is running in a VM, I would recommend taking a snapshot before starting the upgrade and then another snapshot for each version so in case one upgrade goes wrong you don’t need to start all over from 1.24.

1 Like

Thanks Tomer. I did a similar thing - I made a clone of the VM first and then performed the sequential update and it all worked like a charm. Although, I did have a couple of hiccups along the way, but I resolved them manually and rerun the foreman-installer.
The hiccups I encountered were:

• Foreman 1.24.3, katello 3.14 -> Foreman 2.0, katello 3.15
    I encountered an error with yum having a conflict when trying to install python3-future package. Resolved by manually removing the old python2-future package and running the foreman-installer again. Success.
  • Foreman 2.2, katello 3.17 -> Foreman 2.3, katello 3.18
    Issue with the foreman-installer trying to start the pulpcore-api.socket, but failing because it was already running, so I had to stop it manually and then it worked with a success.

Thank you for your hard work on developing such a great piece of software!

Jasenko

2 Likes