Katello 3.15 doesn't show available package updates anymore

Was there any progress after restarting Katello? I wouldn’t expect the hanging sync task to have an effect on applicability.

Do you have any failed tasks that are stopped or paused relating to applicability or package profile uploads? From the traceback you sent I see the UploadProfiles task is failing (which I would expect to also show up in the tasks browser), which might explain applicability failing if the profile isn’t reaching Pulp 2 properly.

I’ll look into that UploadProfiles error.

On the centos 8 box where you run this command can you share us your
/var/lib/rhsm/cache/profile.json

Also send us the output of rpm -qa|grep sub

I didn’t restart before since the hanging sync task. I just did.

I can’t say for sure if it’s really related but the timeline fits. It worked fine. When I returned two hours later it did. In those two hours the hanging sync task started.

Now even after the katello restart it still won’t show applicable updates, even after katello-package-upload -f.

In the task list I see Combined Profile Update tasks ended stopped in warning whenever I did that package upload, i.e. action “Actions::Katello::Host::UploadProfiles”, exception “ArgumentError: invalid argument: nil.”. That seems to be each time I run katello-package-upload.

Other than that all tasks stopped successfully except the sync plan, of course, to which that hanging sync belongs to.

There is no katello-package-upload on CentOS 8. At the moment I only have CentOS 7 hosts which have issues. I downgraded a package on a CentOS 8 host and that showed up as applicable. Did the same on a CentOS 7 and that did not show any applicables and threw the exception and showed that warning stopped task.

But this time only a CentOS 7 sync task was hanging unlike before when the EPEL8 sync was also hanging…

On CentOS 7 host:

subscription-manager-rhsm-certificates-1.24.26-3.el7.centos.x86_64
subscription-manager-rhsm-1.24.26-3.el7.centos.x86_64
subscription-manager-1.24.26-3.el7.centos.x86_64

So one thing on rhel8/centos8 you would use

dnf uploadprofile instead of katello-packages-upload -f

Same thing: at the moment CentOS 8 seems to be fine. Now exception in the logs. The combined profile update tasks end in success state.

I have a PR ready that fixes the nil error which in turn will hopefully sort out your applicability issues. Would you like to try it out? It will also be available in Katello 3.15.2.

Patch: https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/8738

I have patched upload_profiles.rb. The task is successful, too.

However, it doesn’t affect the applicability count for the centos 7 content hosts. It is still at 0, even though there should be three. katello-package-upload -f doesn’t help. Downgrading a package doesn’t help, either. (Downgrading increases the count on CentOS 8 content hosts, though).

So far the patch doesn’t seem to make a difference on how it is working at the moment. The exception is gone, the count still doesn’t work…

Can we see your /var/lib/rhsm/cache/profile.json on one of the troublesome CentOS 7 clients?

What’s the best way to share that here?

You could upload the file directly to the forum in your reply (Upload button) or private message it to me. If you’d rather it not be on the forum you could email it to me at iballou@redhat.com

I have just sent you a PM with the file.

I downgraded sqlite, i.e. currently it shows an available update to 3.7.17-8.el7_7.1 with yum check-update. Katello shows no applicable updates, though.

On Content - Packages I can see for the 3.7.17-8.el7_7.1 version of sqlite the correct count of installed on hosts, but also 0 applicable & upgradable hosts.

I had the same issue. After upgrade the updates view didn’t show any package on a host. So after I read the thread I did a yum update on foreman and then a foreman-rake db:migrate

Now if I click on Hosts > Content hosts I got an empty page. No hosts is listed. I don’t see any particular error in the logs but I may just miss something.

I also did a apipie:cache after the update as suggested by the db:migrate output. Then I cleared all cookies and stored data in the browser to clear any remnants from the previous version. After that everything worked fine again.

Thanks! doing a forman-rake apipie:cache then cleared cookies and cleared browser cache the content hosts loads file.

I still don’t see the package updates. I did a yum check-update on a host, also I did a katello-package-upload -f . Applicable packages still 0 in Katello. All hosts are CentOS 7.

This is the log file when i do a katello-package-upload -f

foreman.log (9.1 KB)

You have to apply the pull request above to get rid of the exception.

Do you have any hanging tasks?

I have changed the upload_profiles.rb from that PR then the exception is gone, i did yum check-update, etc, but applicable package list is still empty, count is still 0. I don’t have stuck tasks. So I belive we both have the same issue.

Hi @Laszlo,

Are you referring to upgrading your Katello server? If so, can you describe how you did your upgrade and what version you upgraded from?

Unlike Laszlo, my installation was a new 3.15 installation. Only upgraded to 3.15.1 in between, but had issues all the time.