Pulp workers

Problem: I have several tasks that are showing “waiting for pulp to start the task.” So, I was trying to determine the state of the pulpcore workers. I got to that with:

PULPWRKS=$(curl https://my-sat.com/pulp/api/v3/workers/ --cert /etc/pki/katello/certs/pulp-client.crt --key /etc/pki/katello/private/pulp-client.key | jq -r ;.result | “(.name)”’ | cut -d@ -f1)
for WRK in $(echo ${PULPWRKS}); do systemctl status -l pulpcore-worker@${WRK};done

and I got back that they are all inactive (dead). Is that normal? If not, how do I change it?

Expected outcome:

Foreman and Proxy versions: foreman 2.4 ; katello 4.1

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version: CentOS 7.9

Other relevant data:

@bradawk Thanks for posting about this, let’s see if we can help you.

Is this a fresh install of Katello 4.1, or an upgrade from a previous installation?

I did find that similar problems were seen and discussed in Tasks stuck with "waiting for Pulp to start the task" - foreman-2.4 / Katello 4.0.0 / Pulp3 - #4 by iballou

1 Like

I think this was an upgrade. I have three servers and I know I did a fresh install on at least one of them. Can’t remember which one? :slight_smile:
I was mostly just curious about the state of the pulp workers. Should systemctl really be seeing them as dead?

I think the “dead” status is possibly the mismatch between the pulpcore database and the running pulpcore task management system. Can you upgrade to more recent Katello versions (and the pulpcore fixes associated with that version), or attempt the debugging steps outlined in that thread?

Unfortunately, our internal repo for katello only has the 4.0 version.
I’ve asked them to update it.

OK. 4.1 is available. I’m getting ready to upgrade from foreman-2.4.1-1 and katello-4.0.3-1 to foreman-2.5.4-1 and katello-4.1.4-1. I’m following the instructions on Foreman 2.5 Upgrade. Section 2.1.1. Preparing to Migrate Content to Pulp 3, paragraph 2., says to run “foreman-maintain prep-6.10-upgrade.” When I run that I get: “ERROR: No such sub-command ‘prep-6.10-upgrade’.” It doesn’t look like the actual rpm update of foreman happens until after this. Did I miss a step?

I’m working on a fresh install of foreman 3.0 and katello 4.2. Thanks!