Retrospective for 2.0:
What didn’t go well:
- Very long release cycle. We tried branching right before conferences, which didn’t work and caused significant delay in branching.
- The first two RCs had known issues with upgrades. We now have upgrade testing in the release pipelines that would have caught that.
- The manual needs more focus
- a lot of back and forth between people, possibly related to changes in release engineer rotation
- missing permissions for some ruby gems caused delays
- lots of issues with plugins that weren’t caught due to no green nightlies for a long time prior to release.
- inter-dependencies between plugins required releases of multiple plugins for compatibility.
- decision to bump hammer major release right before branching led to issues due to dependencies.
- some installer modules weren’t release on time
- doing a retro after two months makes remembering everything hard
What did go well:
- Having more frequent release meetings and going over status open issues was useful
- Collaboration between the different people involved in the release has improved
- We managed to get in significant changes, even if the cost was small delays.
- Making a major version with breaking changes is important, we should do these more often - perhaps once a year
- No major issues reported after GA, seems stable. RC testing appear to have caught all major problems.
- Katello nightlies blocked on: Bug #29589: smart proxy registers prior to pulpcore being available - Installer - Foreman
- Foreman nightlies blocked on: foreman-nightly-rpm-pipeline 541 failed
- Rails 6 - packaging is ready, will start merging soon
- apipie-dsl - almost ready to go in
- installer module releases - will start today, still needs more work during the next week.