Synced Content greyed out

Hello,

How do you activate “Synced Content” as install media for certain “operating systems”?
For me it only works with “CentOS 7” as operating system, but with the same config it does not work for “CentOS 7.6.1810” as operating system. I don’t have a clue where to look for the problem.
How do you map a Content Source to a operating system and make the synced content available?

Best Regards
Mario

Hi,

I have no experience with CentOS, but with RHEL you have to Sync the kickstart repository for that specific version and then add that to your content view.
After promoting the CV it should be accessible via “Synced Content”.

Greetings

1 Like

I’ve synced http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.6.1810/os/x86_64/ for Centos 7.6 and http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64 for Centos 7.
It works for Centos 7, but not for 7.6.

Hm, weird…
If they are both part of your selected CV, that should be everything you have to do. If that’s not the case, I would suggest opening a bug report over at redmine.
Sounds like a bug to me.

Do you have selected “Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server Kickstart x86_64 7.6” ?

1 Like

You really need to sync RHEL Kickstart repository, the original. CentOS will not work, even if it is really a repo with kickstart files it does not contain the important .treeinfo file with some details that Pulp/Katello needs to identify it as a “Kickstart” repository I think. @Justin_Sherrill should know better I might be wrong.

Then why does it work with the Centos 7 repo?

Now Justing will know better (or you can ask at the Pulp Project) but I think it’s because the missing .treeinfo file which is only on Red Hat CDN. Or maybe this information is stored in the subscription data, there are no subscriptions for CentOS.

This would be a nice feature to have indeed for CentOS.

It actually DOES work for Centos! …but only with Centos 7, not with Centos 7.6.
And Centos 7 is only a symlink to Centos 7.6.1810 on the mirror server, so the content of both is actually the same (until 7.7 will be published). So I’m pretty sure it’s not related to the content of the repo.
Again, my question is how does Foreman/Katello decide if a synced repo is valid for a certain OS version?

Then I believe it’s Pulp who decides.

Based on what?

Have you found the solution to this problem ?

No, sadly not.

Probably a bug in @katello ? Anyone?

I just synced centos 7.6 on my instance and I am able to choose it as a synced content just fine. If you went to the repository details you should see -> “bootable:true”

1. Can you send me a screen shot of the “Distribution Information” in the repository details page for the 7.6
  2. Can you also give me information regarding the values you chose for -> Lifecycle Env, Content View, Content Source, OS and arch when creating the host. Are you able to see the synced content if you chose “Library” and “Default Organization View”
Distribution Information
Version
Architecture
    x86_64
Family
    CentOS
Variant
Bootable
    true

Is it possible that I hit this this bug?
https://projects.theforeman.org/issues/26095

The full version of Centos is 7.6.1810 (3 digits) and I’m on Katello 3.10.

Could be connected but I don’t think that is your issue because it worked fine on my test 3.10 instance.

Your distribution information looks correct. Give me the values for the the following boxes in your create hosts -> Lifecycle Env, Content View, Content Source, OS and arch when creating the host. Are you able to see the synced content if you chose “Library” and “Default Organization View”

You don’t have an os called “CentOS 7.6.1810” in your Infrastructure -> Operating System right?

I don’t see the synced content with “Library” and “Default Organization View”. As soon as I switch Operating System to CentOS 7.6.1810 synced content is deactivated.

I don’t have Infrastructure → Operating System at all. I have Hosts → Operating Systems and there is a “CentOS 7.6.1810” Operating System.

It would be extremely valuable to know how pulp decides if a synced content is applicable for a certain OS. Knowing that logic would make debugging much easier.

Sorry should ve said Hosts -> Operating Systems.

Curious how that OS -> CentOS 7.6.1810 got generated. In my local instance I do not see this after syncing both Centos 7/7.6.

When we sync we create an OS entry from the distribution information provided in the treeinfo file. In your case the distribution information for both 7 and 7.6 point to the same thing (Centos 7). So to provision Centos 7.6 what you need to do is select OS -> Centos 7 and chose 7 or 7.6 repository from the synced content dropdown (you should see multiple repositories in the dropdown),

This is typically generated by a Puppet report. Perhaps this is the problem the one used not being one with the synced content associated?