Unable to locate package ruby-foreman-openscap

Hi,

I use Debian Jessie

I get an

[DEBUG 2016-11-18 18:28:19 main] Executing '/usr/bin/apt-get -q -y -o DPkg::Options::=–force-confold install ruby-foreman-openscap'
[ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] Execution of '/usr/bin/apt-get -q -y -o DPkg::Options::=–force-confold install ruby-foreman-openscap' returned 100: Reading package lists…
[ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] Building dependency tree…
[ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] Reading state information…
[ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] E: Unable to locate package ruby-foreman-openscap

if I try to install openscap

I have added the two apt sources like described in

https://theforeman.org/manuals/1.13/quickstart_guide.html#QuickstartGuide

So it should be available? Has somebody an idea?
Sincerely,
Tobias

Irgendwann am Fri, Nov 18, 2016 um 05:32:47PM +0000, schrieb Tobias Köck:
> Hi,
>
> I use Debian Jessie
>
> I get an
>
> [DEBUG 2016-11-18 18:28:19 main] Executing '/usr/bin/apt-get -q -y -o DPkg::Options::=–force-confold install ruby-foreman-openscap'
> [ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] Execution of '/usr/bin/apt-get -q -y -o DPkg::Options::=–force-confold install ruby-foreman-openscap' returned 100: Reading package lists…
> [ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] Building dependency tree…
> [ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] Reading state information…
> [ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] E: Unable to locate package ruby-foreman-openscap

At which stage are you getting this error? Is this printer after
running foreman-installer? From what I see on my debian box, the
package isn't called 'openscap'.

> if I try to install openscap
>
> I have added the two apt sources like described in
>
> Foreman :: Quickstart
>
> So it should be available? Has somebody an idea?

Anurag

OpenSCAP didn't get packaged for Debian based distros, as AFAICT it's not
usable anyway on non-RH based distros.

Regards

··· On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 05:32:47PM +0000, Tobias Köck wrote: > [ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] E: Unable to locate package ruby-foreman-openscap

Michael Moll

What Michael said. It has been packaged for yum based distros.

··· On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 11:16:11 PM UTC+2, Michael Moll wrote: > > On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 05:32:47PM +0000, Tobias Köck wrote: > > [ERROR 2016-11-18 18:28:20 main] E: Unable to locate package > ruby-foreman-openscap > > OpenSCAP didn't get packaged for Debian based distros, as AFAICT it's not > usable anyway on non-RH based distros. > > Regards > -- > Michael Moll >

Hi,
I know this topic is 3 years old, but I was wondering if it is still the case today?
OpenSCAP now provides Scap Security Guides for non-EL based distributions (including Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSUSE) so it should be working somehow. Any idea?

EDIT: Just saw this post: Failed to configure foreman agent on debian10 and ubuntu 18.04 os - #5 by ama213 - I’ll check if I can find a workaround in the meantime! :slight_smile: Thanks guys

Quentin

Any news?

Just failed to install due to “E: Unable to locate package ruby-foreman-openscap” and wondering if the mistake is running foreman on Ubuntu in the first place!? :nerd_face:

The foreman-openscap is not packaged for Debian. @Ondrej_Prazak any good news on this one?

On my Fedora 34 with scap-workbench I can remotely scan both debian 9 and 10 as well as Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04 and 20.04 so I figure someone has put some effort to make it work on debian. If your goal is just to scan your debian hosts maybe you can try a search for scap-workbench. I think it’s available in buster. If it is to do it from foreman maybe you have to wait for the foreman guys to answer your question.

I see 2 topics here:

1. Using foreman_openscap with Foreman installation on Ubuntu/Debian
    @upadhyeammit openscap plugin has never really been packaged for Ubuntu/Debian and it is unlikely to change unless we find someone who is willing to build and maintain those packages.

2. scanning Ubuntu/Debian systems
    As @swefredde says, it is possible to scan Ubuntu/Debian systems with openscap. Due to the lack of debian packaging, foreman_scap_client package is not present in the deb repos. It should be possible to use the ATIX repo. I think @jtruestedt might have more details about that.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply

The linked ATIX repository contains a package with the foreman-scap-client: https://apt.atix.de/Ubuntu20LTS/pool/ruby-foreman-scap-client_0.4.6_all.deb (this is for Ubuntu 20 and there is one for Debian 10 as well)

However the client-package has a different name in the deb-packages (at least in our repos), but this should be included in the ansible-role and the puppt-module as well or should be at least a variable, which can be overwritten.

I think it is possible to specify package name in both puppet module and ansible role.