I have been thinking about a user friendly way to delete a large number of openscap reports from UI. The workflow we currently use is essentially the same as for host bulk actions in the hosts/index:
- Select reports in a table by checking a checkbox for each report you want to delete
- Choose bulk action by clicking a button above the table
- Modal with selected reports shows, users clicks ‘Submit’ button
This approach is limited by the number of items displayed on the page - it is possible to delete only one page at the time, which may be a problem when users have large number of reports - 1000 and more.
The best thing I could come up with was a slight modification of the workflow, which could be used for bulk actions in general:
- Choose action from ‘Select action’ dropdown menu - ‘Change power state’ for example
- Modal with search shows, users search for records, search results are shown in a table with client-side pagination. All records are selected by default, users can deselect them.
- When users are happy with selection, they choose additional values specific for given action (desired power state for ‘Change power state’) and submit
I realize selecting hundreds or thousands of hosts for a bulk action would be a rare case, but maybe it is worth having in core.
I am wondering whether this is something our community would be interested in and if/how much effort we should invest in this area.
- Yes, I want this in core. I am willing to help with implementation/testing/reviewing.
- Yes, I want this in core. Due to $reason, I will not be able to help with implementation/testing/reviewing.
- No, I do not want this in core, because bulk actions in core work fine. If plugins need something special, they have to deal with it on their own.
- No, this is not worth spending time on. Tell users to go to Administer -> Settings, General tab. Increase ‘Entries per page’ setting to 100 000. Then use the current workflow to select and delete all the desired reports on the page. When done, revert the setting to original value. This approach is user friendly enough, close the bug.
- No, I will explain my reasons in a comment below
- Something else - I will explain in a comment below