Dockerfile is now included in foreman core

Hello,

tl;dr

There is now a production docker container of foreman building automatically (on every merge to core) at Quay and a docker-compose ready to use production environment you can deploy by:

docker-compose run app bundle exec rake db:create db:migrate
docker-compose run app bundle exec rake db:seed
docker-compose up

and login to http://localhost:3000 (note that the password was printed during db:seed above)

if you like to upgrade your environment

docker-compose pull
docker-compose run app bundle exec rake db:migrate db:seed
docker-compose up

ATM if you would like to add additional plugins you should rebuild the image yourself (details below).

Please donā€™t use it for real production environments (yet)

Long version

Recently Iā€™ve been working of adding dockerfile to foreman core, that an image can be built easily directly from source.

The aim of this change was not to introduce a new way for users to install Foreman via containers (even if its possible) rather more as a development (or developers) tool.

The motivation I had in mind was:

• reliable / continues builds based on git / source
  • Build production environments from PR so people can easily test, reproduce bugs etc
  • Simple enough that everyone can just take it out for a quick spin
  • Being able to add E2E testing on top
  • Allow users to see latest features, translators to see the current state of strings etc.

Currently, there is a docker-compose file that enable production environment, in order to use it you need to ensure you have both docker and docker-compose installed locally.

Out of the box, it runs:

• MySQL server (can be easily swapped to pg, I just happened to use my local DB for testing)
  • A single rails puma process
  • Dynflow worker.

If you look into the content of the file, its pretty simple to add additional services if needed.

Additionally, this image contains a report of the webpack build that can be found at http://localhost:3000/webpack/report.html, this is useful to see how the assets are complied and used within the application.

It supports the various languages (so translators and developers can see the current language state) and include hammer cached API binding that hammer tests can be done against it as well.

This by no means a complete work, nor Iā€™m suggesting we should invest a lot into this before it proof itself useful to us.

How to build your own image

• Using quay.io (or similar service), Iā€™ve found its easiest simply to configure quay.io to build the images for me, the workflow is simple enough (e.g. on every git push to my repo an image will be built) and it doesnā€™t slow down my machine while building it (it takes about 7-8 minutes or so).
  • Building locally - The easiest is simply to run
    docker-compose build app
    or
    docker build . -t mytag
    if you have any plugins configured in your bundler.d/Gemfile.local.rb it will pick them up and include them in your generated container, you would then might need to change the line pointing to the container image to point to the image you just created.
  • Note that you need a recent version of docker (e.g. from the last couple of years, not what ships in fedora by default) to build it, you might consider using podman to build it instead.

If you happen to have gem in a local checkout - e.g.

gem 'foreman_memcache', path: '../foreman_memcache'

and donā€™t want to mess up with paths, I would suggest to create directory called ā€œdevā€ or something under your foreman directory, so in your bundle file you have something like

gem 'foreman_memcache', path: 'dev/foreman_memcache'

I personally just did

mkdir dev
cd dev
ln -s ../../foreman_memcache .
cd ..

and then, let tar follow symlinks, e.g.

tar -chf - --exclude-from=.dockerignore | docker build -

I did not verify that all features work, Iā€™m pretty sure stuff breaks, a list of stuff Iā€™m aware of are:

• Logging doesnā€™t work to STDOUT (not sure why)
  • audit logs contains references to the container hostname (and many times they swap over because of multiple containers setting the value)
  • No way to pass settings via environment variables (to common way to solve configuration with containers).
  • ā€¦

Further work

• investigate base image should we use, maybe UBI - I did do initially a POC here but felt it was too much to do in one PR, maybe better use ubi-minimalā€¦
  • move the base image to a foreman-container-base, so builds could be a bit faster to build
  • E2E testing, perhaps similar to the suggestion by @amirfefer
  • Add foreman-proxy
  • Add LB / SSL Termination
  • Enable more specific services (such as the one needed for Katello)

I would be happy to see continuation of this for developer environments, perhaps similar to

I know this is not 100% aligned with whats in RFC @ehelms suggested, I hope its viewed as a positive first step .

Thanks for readingā€¦

5 Likes

settings.yaml is ran through ERB which means you can use #{ENV['MY_ENV_VAR']} in it to use env vars. That means you can include a config/settings.yaml.container which sets the right env vars to be configurable and let the Dockerfile use that (either symlink or copy it during the build process).

Iā€™ve followed up with more official documentation at https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/pull/6786

Thanks, I guess then it would be easy to use the upstream image as base and add a settings file, but the whole point of using env variables would be to skip the need of building a customized image just for configuration, ideally foreman it self should accept ENV variables as valid values that override the settings by default (similar to RAILS_ENV or other rails specific environment variables).

@ohadlevy: Are you also planning on adding a Dockerfile to smart-proxy?
Iā€™ve been toying with the idea of adding configuration via ENV variables to smart-proxy.

Massive +1 to this, Iā€™m going to look into using it for tests with foreman-ansible-modules

1 Like

I didnt, but perhaps its too easy :- ) something like https://github.com/shlomizadok/foreman-docker-compose/blob/master/proxy/Dockerfile

Iā€™ve also been toying with a proof of concept. For a demo I decided to rewrite the proxy from scratch in Python (just the Puppet module for now). The framework Iā€™m using defaults to reading env vars. It does type casting since env vars are strings. Itā€™s going to be a challenge to do that right in the current proxy which doesnā€™t really know about data types and trusts it to come from YAML. That may also be an issue in the Foreman configuration but probably easier since it already has a model around settings.

@TimoGoebel (and others present next week): letā€™s talk about this next week and see if we can come up with a plan/proposal

1 Like

may I ask why? just wondering what kind of issues are you having with the current proxy code base?

I want to demonstrate the interaction with Foreman and that itā€™s really straight forward. The codebase is big and complicated so itā€™s hard to show a very minimal version. In about 100 lines I could implement a functional proxy including an implementation of the Puppet feature.

It was also a lot of fun to teach myself modern Python web frameworks and I always teach myself by implementing something semi-serious. Automatically generating an openapi schema was also an interesting experiment.

While doing so, I even found a bug in the Smart Proxy Puppet module for which I still need to open an issue. When a Puppet parameter defaults to false, itā€™s represented as a string instead of a boolean (where true is a boolean).

OK, I did an initial POC at https://github.com/ohadlevy/smart-proxy/commit/3caf0f1a9ffcc16d46514d0d26f4121156ed20e4 - if you like it, please continue based on it, the main part that breaks is the settings.

Wow! Congratulations! Great job! :+1:

This looks like some serious hard work to have that gotten to work. Especially the Dockerfile.

While Iā€™ve not yet reviewed everything Iā€™ve started to note down a few thoughts somewhere else. (Iā€™m not quoting it here, it would be unnecessary distraction.)

up2date, ā€œofficialā€ documentation can now be found at https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/blob/develop/developer_docs/containers.asciidoc thanks for everyone who helped to review.

2 Likes

Iā€™m working on a project for Foreman and Puppet, but would rather contribute to this instead of working solo. Do you have a parent issue (epic) for this? For starters, what integration testing framework are you planning on using? Iā€™m using Fabric8ā€™s docker-maven-plugin which seems like it would fit nicely into Redhatā€™s stack, but maybe you want to use something more Ruby-ish? Maybe a good start would be to move in some testing and go from there? Or maybe you already have a roadmap staked out?

@luksi1 what are you trying to achieve? its hard to understand from your comment aboveā€¦

Weā€™re running Foreman + Puppet in production (I know that youā€™re offering
it as a development option) and it would be nice to contribute. I guess my
convoluted question is simply: is there an issue, epic, roadmap that we
could look at to grab issues, bugs, and feature requests so that we could
help with this? Weā€™re interested especially in contributing test cases (I
donā€™t see any docker tests in the master branch) and maybe some smart proxy
images if youā€™re accepting them.

I would guess the parent ā€œepicā€ (we use redmine which doesnā€™t have a concept of epics) is at Refactor #18732: Make Foreman Containerizable - Foreman.

Feel free to add issues and link them to that one? it would be good to understand your plans, and of course, patches are welcomed :slight_smile:

Thanks! Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m looking for. Iā€™ll take a look at whatā€™s
already on there and see if I can start making some merge requests.

We would like to help make foreman production ready and robust.

Would you be OK with some syntax and unit testing to start with? Hadolint.
Shellchecker. Some kind of scannerā€¦ maybe Trivy. Any other ideas?

Do you have any ideas around integration testing? Or maybe youā€™re simply
thinking about overlaying your current integration tests?

Den tis 16 juli 2019 08:41Ohad Levy via TheForeman <
noreply@community.theforeman.org> skrev:

Hello,
I have few ideasā€¦

Would be superuseful to handle:
bundle exec rake db:create db:migrate
and
bundle exec rake db:seed
in https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/blob/develop/entrypoint.sh

Dont know if exist something that will get database info, if its migrated and seededā€¦ ( it may check if these steps are neccessary to run )

Another thing may be plugin installation. I am suggesting something like

docker run -d --name foreman \
-e GEMS_TO_INSTALL="fog-proxmox foreman_fog_proxmox foreman_ansible"
quay.io/foreman/foreman:1.23-stable

This can be also handled in entrypoint.sh like:

for i in $GEMS_TO_INSTALL; do echo "$i" >> bundler.d/container.rb ; done && /usr/bin/bundle install

Last thing that comes to my mind is bundle exec rake permissions:reset password=change,
this should not be handled by entrytpoint.sh

Password is stored in database, or somewhere on filesystem?
If filesystem, then can docker VOLUME help , if in database, permissions:reset password=change will everytime reset the password -> if new instance of foreman will connect to old database, which is not necessary.

Any thoughts on that?

I was initially keeping it out of the entrypoint thinking this wont make a lot of sense if someone is running many foreman instances (e.g. on a busy kubernetes env) where pods/containers will stop and start, it will reduce the load time for the application.
in my kuberenetes/openshift environment, I simply have a job that does that, having said that, I do believe that if we plan to continue this path, we would need to make some adjustments in how we migrate db etc

overall, if its a pain point, not hard to include it in the entrypoint for now I assumeā€¦?

do you mean in order to avoid running it all the time? both migrate and seed will not do anything on a running system, so its harmless (just takes longer to start).

with this I disagree a bit, for two main reasons:

1. it will download bits from the internet on run time, meaning every time you would start the container.
  2. I believe that different plugin combinations are different images, therefore if you want to add a new plugin, simply rebuild the image (as described at https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/blob/develop/developer_docs/containers.asciidoc#building-your-own-image)

password is not on the filesystem, it encrypted inside the DB. the default would just randomly generate a new password, but instead of looking in the seed output, i thought making it easily changeable via the CLI/env var would be good enoughā€¦?